What is a Liver Function Test?
How is the test performed?
For the specific way in which each liver test is performed, refer to one of the following tests:
- albumin, a protein synthesized by the liver
- ALP, an enzyme found in the liver, bones and placenta
- ALT, an enzyme found primarily in liver cells
- AST, an enzyme found in the liver as well as many other body organs
- serum bilirubin, a waste product formed by the breakdown of red blood cells
- urine bilirubin
- GGT, an enzyme present in the liver, pancreas and kidney
- LDH, an enzyme found in the liver
- PT or prothrombin time, which tests the blood's ability to clot
- total cholesterol, a substance stored in the liver
- total protein, a nutrient normally broken down by the liver and it's enzymes